About The Editor
CONSULTING ENGINEER AND PLANNER :
Transport policy analyst & evaluator, Highway Traffic and Transport studies, Site Town Region structure & infrastructure planning, Feasibility studies, Environmental effects assessments.
Over 35 years of highway and traffic engineering and urban development planning and engineering, mainly in New Zealand but with 12 years overseas, including 2 years in Toronto for DHO, 3 years in London, and the remainder in (mostly Asian) developing countries. Initial specialisation in highway planning, project evaluation and design, including extensive experience in urban motorways and interchanges, urban arterials and intersections, and rural routes through virgin country. Initiated Code of Practice for Urban Land Development which became NZS4404. Developed the Integrated Selection Technique for peri-urban road net upgrading – project identification & prioritising. Managed highway planning projects allocating expenditure of several billion US dollars for World Bank & Asian Development Bank.
Experienced in traffic/freight access circulation and parking layouts for town centres, airports, major public facilities, and all commercial/industrial developments, and in traffic effects, accident and safety studies. Expert witness before local authorities, Planning tribunal, courts. Well-versed in historical and current philosophies and issues, globally and locally, in the evolution of urban and transport planning, and relevance today in the face of current resource incl. energy concerns
EDUCATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL STATUS
Bachelor of Engineering (Civil), University of New Zealand Prev. Member, (USA) Institute of Transportation Engineers
Diploma of Town Planning, University of Auckland Prev.Member, (UK) Institution of Logistics & Transport
Diploma in Management, NZIM Prev.Member (exp), Road Engineers of Asia & Australasia
Assoc Fellow, NZ Institute of Management Member, Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport
Member, Institution of Professional Engineers of NZ Member, Resource Management Law Association
University of Auckland Postgraduate Certificates of Proficiency in Economics, Resource Management, Philosophy etc
Post Grad Units/Courses in Transp.planning, Transp.econs, Traffic analysis, Signal design, SIDRA intersection analysis,
Hwy Safety audit, Project mgt, Resource econs, Econs of urban dev’t, Energy & env’t, Non-renewable resources etc.
Past chairman of various committees and (Civil) Vice-Chairman, (then) New Zealand Institution of Engineers (Auckland)
Founding member and 3-terms national councillor, Traffic & Transportation Group, IPENZ.
Many tech. papers & submissions on transport & infrastructure planning, env’t & dev’t issues & effects, transport policy
Initiator then secretary of IPENZ subcommittee on land development costs, resulted in NZSS4044 Residential Land Dev’t
Invited speaker/panellist at professional conferences on Land development costs, Transport futures, Sustainability issues Relieving lecturer, advanced highway design (UNITEC). Occasional invited addresses, senior students UniAuck Eng Sch
CAREER TO DATE (representative examples only, for fuller schedule including many minor projects refer CV.)
* WORLD BANK & ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK – Traff/Transp/Hwy planner UNDP Devt Plan for Ibadan (Nigeria) Team Ldr US$5bill.Indonesian Hwy Betterment Program. Team Ldr Indon.Hwy Capacity Exp.Project (6 model projects) Plan/geom.design Kuala Lumpur ringroad.Tech Advisor evaluation Laos SH1.Locate/design Bamenda-Bafut Hwy (Cam) Post-Project (re-)Evaln120kms China motorways. Safety evalns Singapore expys. Model projects for (NZ)MFA/UNIDO.
* WILLMOTT ASSOCIATES – Consulting Engrs & Dev’t Planners, Auck.NZ – Specialist consultant eg Policy advice & Subm’s, Transp & Res Mgt issues, Expert evidence. Locate,design,evaluate 6.5km unsealed section SH16 Cleasby’s Hill.
Whitford-Maraetai Road Net Study. Wellington Airport access/parking. Taupo Expansion Plan. Greenlane widen study. Transmission Gully prospects & effects. Gisborne logging traffic. Site Dev’t Plans for Auck.Trotting Club, Showgrounds, & Greenlane Hospital. ConceptRoadNetworkDev’tPlanforAuck.Expansion. Surface route design for SH20 (Waterview)
Land Devt.Plan Shoal Bay Marina. Engineered subdivs. during period of rapid cost escalation (1972 $3000,1975 $20000)
* BECA CARTER HOLLINGS AND FERNER (Auckland) – Senior transport planner & traffic & highway engineer, eg Geometrics Pakuranga Motorway. Locate, layout Manukau City Centre. Manukau City road net & Transport planning.
Hamilton Road net. Shell Gully mwy carpark. Onepoto Domain. Tit.Rd & Ell-Pan Main Hwy. Madang Urban Devt Plan.
* OVE ARUP & PARTNERS (London) – Project Planner/Engr, Traffic & Roading. Site Devt Plan & Engg, Univ East Anglia, U.Canty (extn), U.Benghazi. Resid. estate devts. Ivy Towers macro carpark. Locate/design 40km Ondo-Ore Hwy
* FOUNDATION ENGINEERING COMPANY of CANADA (FENCO) – SiteEngr:constr. PtCredit Marine Terminal. Civil Project Engr & geometricist for Trans-Canada Hwy 401 v LeslieAve&DonValleyParkwayinterchange(Toronto) then largest = 2x4L X 4x4L,9bridges+16 ramps) +Leslie Ave Int. +linking14Lanemotorway(5kmof 2x3Lane+2x4Lane)
* AUCKLAND CITY COUNCIL – Assistant engineer, various roading, drainage, intersection upgrade projects. Assistant design engineer, non State motorways eg S-E corridor Hobson Bay-Mt Wgtn, Dom.Rd Interchange. Arterials development eg Prelim StLukes/Balmoral/Greenlane. Feasibility studies for NRB funding. Preparatory work for De Leuw Cather report.